Because with Brexit on 31st January 2020, the transitional period began on 1st February 2020 and will last until 31st December 2020 (*), during which nothing changes!
To be more clear about that, even though the UK has left the EU on 1st February 2020, life goes on and for the time being everything stays the same. For our customers in the UK this means that
- we continue shipping at the same conditions as previously
- shipping costs and our free shipping policy remain unchanged
- the Austrian VAT applies for non-commercial purchases as usual
- UK VAT numbers remain valid for commercial purchases without VAT by reversed VAT liability
- no import customs clearance is involved, thus no customs duties or import VAT applies
Please get in touch with us by using our contact form in case you should have any questions about that matter.
This posting will be updated accordingly if anything should change.
(*) Although Boris has put it into law that an extension of the transitional period is not possible, it is highly unlikely that a comprehensive deal can be agreed on during such a short time. The UK government had time until 1st July 2020 to change its position and request an extension of the transitional period for one or two years, but has missed to take that opportunity!
Update as of 2nd July, 2020
The UK government has missed the opportunity to request an extension to the transitional period, which makes a hard Brexit at the end of the year even more likely with Brexit negotiations being completely stuck and the Coronavirus crises remaining the main focus throughout Europe.